Monument to Emilija Pliaterytė in the park of Vainežeris manor

Monuments

The Lithuanian Jeanne d'Ark was titled in 1831. The courage, feats and heroism of the participants in the uprising, Captain, Countess Emilija Pliaterytė, became an example not only to the Lithuanians, but also to the people of Poland, Belarusians and other nations. 1831 together with her cousin Caesar Pliater, she organized a rebel platoon, which occupied Zarasai with its allies, participated in the battle in Radviliškis district, later in Vilnius county and Kaunas. When the rebels decided to retreat towards the Prussian border, Emilija, together with Marija Rašanavičiūtė and her cousin, tried to reach Warsaw via Užnemunė and continue the fight there. During the trip, Emilia was injured by enemy bullets. He went into the woods in hiding, mostly at night, suffering from hunger, thirst, fatigue. Eventually, when the forces ran out and the wounds on his legs opened, E. Pliaterytė passed out. Caesar and Mary took Emilia to Eiguli's hut, where she was sheltered by Eugul Margel. Eigulys turned to the nearest landowner Ignotas Ablamavičius, and received the countess to his Justinavas (Vainežeris) manor near Kapčiamiestis. 1831 December 23 Emilia died in the village of Vainežeris. At night, she was secretly transported by boat on the White Duck River to Kapčiamiestis Church and buried in Kapčiamiestis Cemetery. The Emilija Pliaterytė Museum, established at Kapčiamiestis Secondary School, has the largest museum exposition dedicated to commemorating her life. Monuments were erected in memory of E. Pliaterytė in the center of Kapčiamiestis town and in the park of Vainežeris manor. The monument to Emilia in the park of Vainežeris manor is special because it is probably the only monument to a stray warrior in Europe.

Reviews

To comment on