Krosna is a town in the territory of Lazdijai district municipality, 8 km west of Simnas.
The Sūrava River flows through Krosna. The Alytus–Kazlų Rūda railway passes through the town, as do the highways to Alytus, Marijampolė, and Kalvarija.
The town has the Church of St. Apostle and Evangelist Matthew, a post office, a medical station, a branch of the Lazdijai M. Gustaitis Gymnasium, a kindergarten, a library (1947), and a stud farm (Trakehner horses are bred).
In the center of the town there is a monument to those who died for the freedom of Lithuania (1999). To the southeast of Krosna is the Kalniškės forest (mouflons have been settled in a fenced area there since 1974). 4 km north of the town is the Žuvintas Biosphere Reserve .
Krosna began to develop in the 16th century. During the Wallachian Reform, a plot of land was allocated, called Krosna atmata, and in 1595 permission was granted to build a settlement. Krosna is mentioned in 1602, and in 1688 – Krosna manor and village. A church was built around 1650–55. A state primary school was established in 1862.
The banned Lithuanian press was distributed in the surrounding area by A. Zigmantaitė, J. Kaluškevičius and others.
Around 1870, the Marijampolė–Alytus highway was built through the town, in 1897–1900 the highway to Kalvarija, and in 1897–1901 the railway.
After World War II, partisans of the Vytautas detachment of the Tauras district operated in the area.
The coat of arms of Krosna was approved in 2002.

Information from the Universal Lithuanian Encyclopedia page

Reviews