Krikštonys - a village in the territory of Lazdijai district municipality, Noragėliai eldership, 9 km east of Seiriyai, on the left bank of the Nemunas. There is the Church of Christ the King (designed and built in 1932 by priest J. Reitelaitis), a culture house, a library (1954), a memorial house museum of J. Reitelaitis (buried in the churchyard) (1990). Near Krikštonys there is the Krikštonys mound and a burial mound.
Krikštonys was first mentioned in historical sources in 1434, in the writings of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Duke Ž. Kęstutaitis. In the 16th century, a ferry sailed across the Nemunas. At the beginning of the 18th century, a postal route passed through Krikštonys. In 1919–48, there was an elementary school, in 1948–61 a seven-year school, an eight-year school, in 1961–2001 a secondary school, and in 2001–09 a basic school. Krikštonys parish was established in 1926. During the Soviet occupation, Krikštonys was the center of the district (1950–63), the central settlement of the collective farm. In 2020, the coat of arms of Krikštonys was approved.


Reviews