Public Institution "Lazdijai Tourism Information Center"

Chapel of Cross St. Mary the Queen of the Rosary


It is a Catholic shrine on the southern shore of Lake Dusia, near the Sutrė stream. It is said that in 1702 between lakes Dusias and Metelios, the Lithuanian army under the command of hetman Mykolas Servacs Višnioveckis was stationed, determined to prevent the Swedish army marching to Gardina. Waiting for the enemy, the Lithuanians erected three crosses in the place where the army chaplain sacrificed St. Mass. A copy of the image of the Mother of God was hung on one of them. News of the approaching Swedish army reached the soldiers on the day of the Apostles Peter and Paul, at the end of the Mass. After the battle, the area fell to the Swedes, but the local residents managed to hide the image of the Mother of God. A few years later, a blinded veteran of this battle regained his sight in the same place. As the news of the miracle spread, people began to gather at this place for worship. It is believed that not only the image of the Mother has magical powers, but also the gushing water of the spring. Every year, Sēkminių and Petriņi indulgences are organized. The first wooden chapel was built in 1816. The new Chapel of the Cross was built in 2000.

Weddings and christenings are celebrated in this spectacular area.


  • Zo

    Neblogas namelis apvalus langelis ,jaigu nesvaidentų būtų visai nieko vižbutukas ,bet velniukas neinlais bomžiukų.